Updates since PDR2
SDSS redshifts have been updated using more recent releases. Also, the following surveys have been added: 2dFGRS, 6dFGRS, C3R2 DR2, DEIMOS 10k sample, LEGA-C DR2, and VANDELS DR1. See the table below for details.
A collection of public spectroscopic redshifts is available in the spec-z table. The spec-z’s are collected from the surveys listed below. Each survey has its own flagging scheme to indicate redshift confidence and we homogenized the flags in order to select objects with secure redshifts easily. The spectroscopic objects are matched to the HSC objects by position and the positional and i-band magnitude differences of the matched objects are stored in the specz table. They can be used to check if the matching is OK. There are also boolean bits for each object to indicate which survey observed the object.
If you use this table in your publication, please acknowledge the original data sources!
Some objects are observed in multiple surveys and we have merged such duplicated objects into one in the following manner:
- cross-match with HSC objects within 1 arcsec
- if there are multiple spec-z sources matched to the same HSC object, check their redshift flags
- if none of them is secure, set z=-9 and zerr=-9
- if one of them is secure, use that redshift and error
- if there are >1 secure redshifts, take redshift with the smallest error
- in all cases, merged object ID will look like “SDSS-DR10-xxx,VIPERS-PDR-yyy,WIGGLEZ-DR2-zzz” so that you can identify the original objects. The original flags are stored in the same way.
- GAMA does not have i-band mags.
- Some objects in PRIMUS have imag=-1 with secure redshift flag.
- In PRIMUS, objects classified as STARS are flagged INSECURE in our table for now because the confidence flags are not provided for those objects.
- In GAMA and WiggleZ, we arbitrarily assigned redshift errors. Do not use them.
- No i-band magnitude is available from 2dFGRS. We quote the R-band magnitude from superCOSMOS w/o extinction correction in the imag column in the database. We realize that this is rather confusing and plan to fix it in the future.
- No i-band magnitude is available from 6dFGS. We quote the b_J band magnitude in the imag column in the database. This is more confusing and needs to be fixed.
Notes on individual surveys
Each spectroscopic surveys has its own selection functions. Please refer to the references below. This table also summarizes how we define secure redshifts in our database table.
|zCOSMOS DR3||Lilly et al. 2009||Flag 4’s, 3’s, 2.5, 2.4, 1.5, 9.5, 9.4, 9.3 are considered secure.|
|UDSz||Bradshaw et al. 2013||It seems only the secure redshifts are currently available from this survey.|
|3D-HST||Skelton et al. 2014||The best redshift catalog is a combination of spec-z + grism-z + photo-z catalog. We have selected grism-z only by applying z_best_s=2. We assume that the spec-z objects are covered by other spec-z samples included in this page. 3D-HST overlaps with HSC in COSMOS, AEGIS, and UDS, and data in those fields are made available in the database. Grism redshift uncertainties are asymmetric (they are basically very high quality photo-z), but the uncertainty in the database is quoted as (z_err68_max – z_err68_min) * 0.5 for simplicity.|
|FMOS-COSMOS||Silverman et al. 2015||Redshifts with flag>=3 are considered secure.|
|VVDS||Le Fevre et al. 2013||Secure if flag=3, 4, 22, 24 (2x’s are secondary), 13, 14 (broad-line AGN), 213, or 214 (broad-line AGN, secondary).|
|VIPERS PDR1||Garilli et al. 2014||Secure if 2.6<flag<4.6, 22.6<flag<24.6 (secondary), 12.6<flag<14.6 (broad-line AGN), 212.6<flag<214.6 (broad-line AGN, secondary)|
|SDSS DR16||Ahumada et al. 2020||Secure if zWarning=0.|
|SDSS QSO DR14||Paris et al. 2018||Secure if zWarning = 0|
|GAMA DR2||Liske et al. 2015|| Secure if NQ>=4. zs_err are arbitrarily set to 0.0005*(1+z) in our table. Do not use them.
|WiggleZ DR1||Drinkwater et al. 2010|| Secure if Qop>=4. zs_err are arbitrarily set to 0.0003*(1+z) in our table. Do not use them.
|DEEP2 DR4||Davis et al. 2003||Secure if ZQUALITY>=3 and not a star.|
|DEEP3||Cooper et al. 2011||
Secure if zquality >= 3
|PRIMUS DR1||Coil et al. 2011||Secure if ZQUALITY>=3 and not a star (no confidence flag is given to stars).|
|2dFGRS||Colless et al. 2003||Secure if quality_flag >=3|
|6dFGRS||Jones et al. 2004||Secure if the sum of comparison flags is 0 .|
|C3R2 DR2||Masters et al. 2017||Secure if quality_flag >= 3|
|DEIMOS 10k sample||Hasinger et al. 2018||Secure if comprehensive quality flag (Q) = 2|
|LEGA-C DR2||Straatman et al. 2018||Secure if f_use = 1|
|VANDELS DR1||Pentericci et al. 2018||Secure if zflg=3 or 4|